Thursday, March 10, 2016

My nightmare experience with Time Warner Cable

It is my sincere hope that this blog entry can prevent or alleviate the pain and misery I experienced (and continue to experience at the time of this writing) at the hand of Time Warner (hereafter referred to as "TW").  This post will describe my experience in detail and provide useful information that I learned through the 6-7 hours I spent on the phone talking with over 12 customer service representatives (hereafter referred to as "CSRs"). Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any advice.  If you are going through (or have gone through) a similar experience, this blog post may save you hours of time and help you obtain resolutions to the incompetence and disorganization that seems rampant at TW.  At certain points in the blog, I will interrupt my narrative with a "Lesson" that will be relevant to the particular subject I am discussing at that time.

I will be also be uploading this story in installments.


The Beginning...



Approximately three months ago, I decided to switch from Dish to Time Warner for my TV services.  TW was already providing my internet service; I simply wanted to add on phone and TV service.  In the course of canceling my Dish service, I learned a very interesting fact: the Dish rep I spoke too informed—indeed, warnedme that the price TW would quote me would be ten dollars less than what it would be on my bill.  Although she certainly was saying whatever she could to keep me as a customer, I just got the sense that this was a fact that she was well informed about.  

With this in mind, I called the sales department at TW and began to inquire about the different packages they had to offer.  I did not know at the time that the CSR was either lying to me or was shockingly misinformed about her own product.  I would only find this out when the technician showed up days later (more on this below).  
Lesson #1:
Take copious notes whenever you are on a call like this.  At the very minimum, record the following:
  • Date, time, name and ID # of the person you are speaking to
  • The name and type of "package" or product you are buying
  • What is included in the package such as services or equipment
  • Since most or all of these calls are recorded, ask the customer service rep to repeat each detail of the key parts of your package.
For instance, since I had Dish's tip about about the bill-increase fresh in my mind, I asked the rep to repeat it several times, e.g., I would say "so what is the grand total of my monthly bill?... Can you repeat that please?"  I would then follow up that question with a comment/question: "So... again, my bill won't be any higher than [X amount], correct?"  I also repeated this process with the other main facets of the "Preferred" TV package making sure that I asked the CSR to cover them several times; this included her telling me that I would be able to pause live TV (with no extra equipment) and that I would have "2 lines" installed which most people would assume means service to two TVs.  Which leads me to...
Lesson #2:
Don't assume anything!  If  you are told you will have "2 lines installed," ask the following questions: "what does that actually mean sir/ma'am? What is a 'line'? Does that mean that both of my TVs will have the same service?"  I cannot stress this enough; you must ask questions that force the CSR to define the terms being used and explain it in terms that you can understand. You will understand why soon.
Although I cannot definitively confirm that this practice led directly to TW's lowering of my bill, I can tell you that TW eventually granted me the exact price that I had the customer service rep repeat to me--you do the math.


The First Technician Arrives...


Within moments after his arrival, I realized that something was very wrong; as I listed what I thought was going to be installed, the technician gave me a not-so-puzzled look. Consulting his tablet, he advised me as to what his order ticket said; nutshell--everything I thought I had confirmed was either different or non-existent on his end.  Initially stunned, I began to inquire as to how this happened. Could the order have been mixed up?  Negative.  Was he at the wrong house? Negative.  Interestingly, I noticed that the tech's face displayed a knowing grin; apparently, he was well acquainted with my shock and dismay.

Intrigued, I asked him, "what's up?"  As he looked at the floor with resignation, he said, "this happens all the time."  For the tech, this was an all-too-familiar situation: as he watched me try to wrap my head around what was happening, he made an interesting offer: "would you like me to cancel the order?"  In denial, I initially said no because I was convinced that we could resolve the problem—I was very mistaken and the technician knew what was about to happen. As I continued to try and make sense of the crevasse-sized disconnect between the TW sales rep and the tech, it became apparent that there would be no resolution. The technician was going to follow his work order no matter what—he already knew the mistake had nothing to do with him.

As some of you might already know, my disorientation manifested itself in an attempt 
to "negotiate" a compromise. Realizing I was wasting my time (and his), he reiterated what his work order specified and made it clear that I only had two choices: either I accept it as is or authorize him to install what I was told I would be receiving from the CSR—each one carrying with an added charge. My frustration had now morphed into temporary resignation; I calmly told him to pack up his stuff and go.


The Marathon Phone Calls Begin...

Over the next 2-3 weeks, I spoke to no less than twelve different CSRs who resided in multiple countries on multiple continents. Some were pleasant and others showed themselves to be almost completely devoid of the ability to conduct a rational, civil and extended discussion about my issues.
Lesson #3:
Be calm and persistent. After you have spoken with a first-level rep, request "escalations" immediately (and repeatedly) until they get a supervisor.
**Be forewarned**—they will always tell you, "there is no one else above me." IT IS A LIE! If they don't address your issue immediately, do not waste any more of your time. Demand an escalation of the issue and a supervisor; repeat it until they grant it. Once they do, make sure you get an "issue track" or "reference" number for each issue.
PERSEVERE!!! Each time you call, make sure you know exactly what you are asking for and DO NOT lose sight of the fact that you must control the direction of the conversation. You will be met with "canned" responses that are designed to distract you and derail the conversation. Redirect them EVERY TIME! This alone will make the CSR crazy because they are not accustomed to this; it WILL reduce the time you have to spend before you are given to someone who can actually help you.

In my case, I was eventually assigned to a particular person who managed my case. Although I am still dealing with unresolved issues, I now have a unit/departmental email address (which I will publish here) and the extension and ID number of this particular supervisor. (I want to emphasize that the dysfunction still prevails at TimeWarner; I left a message for my point-of-contact person with three different CSRs and when I finally spoke to him, he told me he had gotten NONE of the messages I left for him.)
Lesson #4:
When you call, the first question you should ask the CSR is whether you are speaking to someone in the continental United States. If you reach a calling center outside of the US, you can request that they transfer you to a States-based calling center and (as far as I was told) they have to honor your request. You may have to wait again but, in my experience, it is worth it.
Once I was assigned a case manager, I reviewed every detail of my case and made sure he was aware of the fact that I had taken detailed notes on every conversation I had with every CSR I talked to.  I demanded that he review every phone call.
Lesson #5:
They record every phone call so it is paramount that you remain as calm and focussed as possible in the event that your issue requires them to review the calls. In my case, I demanded it because I knew that he would have to confront the incompetence directly. 
In addition, this demand strengthens your case because none of these case managers want to listen to hours of phone calls. At this point in the escalation process, they want you to go away and, if you are strong and determined, they will realize that the ONLY way that is going to happen is if they negotiate, compromise or redress your grievance. I was fond of repeating the statement, "Time Warner created this frankenstein and I won't stop until you people take responsibility for your incompetence and negligence!"  


It Gets Worse...


Having made some progress in terms of some of the basic issues, I felt comfortable enough to make another appointment to have my service installed. The second tech, to his credit, was courteous and amiable. Unfortunately, he did not have the proper tools to perform the install without my helpI spent at least an hour trying to jerry-rig an apparatus that would enable him to snake the coaxial wire to the outlet from the ceiling. As I stood in the living room listening to him move in the attic above the ceiling, I heard a crack and watched in dismay as a two-foot section of ceiling cracked beneath the pressure of this foot.  

We took pictures and he called the damage in to his supervisor. He finished the installation and told me I would get a call from his supervisor to schedule a time when he could come out and assess the damage. Approximately TWO WEEKS later, I had not received a single call even though I was told that they would call me the next day. Once again, I began to call, not stopping until I got new names and escalated the issue again.

TW uses a company called VM ComSource to do their repair work. In the course of making arrangements for the assessment, I would always take the opportunity to spread the word of what was happening to me. One of the supervisors for VM took the time to listen to me and he told me that he would talk to his supervisors. Although I (

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment